American Merchant Marine at War Records and Contact Information is NOT a government agency. We do not have your father's records. Read below how to get records for mariners and ships. We do have an extensive library with ship histories, information about sinkings, casualties, government documents and much, much, more.

Mariner Service Records
Veteran Status
Mariner Medals
Armed Guard Service Records
Headstone or Grave Marker
History of a World War II era ship
Ship Log Books
Photo of a ship
Frequently Asked Questions
Merchant Marine Jobs
Mariners listed in Immigration Records

Merchant Marine Service Records including Voyage Discharges from U.S. Coast Guard:

Include Name, Date of Birth, copy of Death Certificate if deceased, Social Security number, Address, and Z or Service number. The Coast Guard has records to the early 1900's.

Click on Record Request Form, Complete form and mail to:

Commanding Officer
USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-41)
ATTN: Correspondence Section
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404

Service Records of mariner killed during World War II:

Old Navy/Maritime Reference
Archives I -Textual Services Branch
National Archives and Records Administration
700 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington DC 20408

Service Records for U.S. Maritime Service, Military Sea Transportation Service, Military Sealift Command:

National Personnel Records Center-Civilian Records Facility has personnel and medical records of former Federal civilian employees from approximately 1900 to the present. Your letter should include:

Full name used during Federal employment
Social Security Number
Date of Birth
Name(s) of Federal employing agency(s)
Approximate dates of Federal employment, especially separation

Please state in your letter the information you are seeking. Your request must contain the individual's or authorized representative's signature.

National Personnel Record Center
111 Winnebago Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63118

Service Records for Army Transport Service

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
1600 Spearhead Division Ave.
Fort Knox, KY 40122


Application for Merchant Marine Veteran Status DD214

Mariners in “ocean-going service” during World War II have Veteran Status. They may be entitled to a gravestone, flag for their coffin, and burial in a National Cemetery. Check with the Veterans Administration for medical and other benefits. Mariner or survivor should complete the following steps and mail to the proper address:

  1. Complete Form DD2168. Supply as much information as possible. You can download Application DD Form 2168 here. The Coast Guard address on the back of the form is not valid. Correct address is below.
  2. Include photocopies of discharges, identification, and other supporting documents.
  3. You will need the mariner’s signature or a certified death certificate. The Coast Guard will issue documents for a person listed as an official casualty without a death certificate.
  4. No fee required if service was between December 7, 1941 and August 14, 1945.
  5. Include check or money order for $30 payable to US Treasury if seeking veteran status for the period from August 15, 1945 through December 31, 1946.
  6. To receive a duplicate of the DD214

More information:

Where to Mail Application:

U.S. Merchant Marine Veteran Status
(service Dec. 7, 1941 - Aug. 15, 1945)
U.S. Merchant Marine Veteran Status
(service Aug. 15, 1945 - Dec. 31, 1946)

USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC)
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404

U.S. Bank Government Lockbox
1005 Convention Plaza
Attn: Government Lockbox, 979119
St. Louis, MO 63101

U.S. Army Transport Service Veteran Status:

US Army Resources Command
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue Dept 420 Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402


Application for Records of Medals and Decorations Earned

Written request identifying the mariner and your relationship to:

Deveeda E. Midgette
Maritime Administration
Mar-630, W25 -313
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E.
Washington, DC 20590


Service Records of U.S. Navy Armed Guard or other Military

To order military documents from World War I and later, complete Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. You can find instructions and download the form at:
Service after 1950:

Service before 1950:

This form can be obtained from the National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63132, any National Archives Regional Archives, and veterans organizations or military installations.

The veteran or his immediate next-of-kin may be able to receive a duplicate of the DD214 via the Internet.


How can I order a headstone or marker for a deceased veteran?

You can find information about VA's headstone and marker program on or call 1-800-697-6947 To apply for a headstone or marker for an eligible veteran or service member, use VA Form 1330 available for download at the VA page. Many funeral homes also have blank forms.


How do I research the history of a World War II era ship?

Write to:

Modern Military Records Unit
National Archives at College Park
8601 Adelphi Road
College Park, MD 20740-6001

They will respond with an estimate of the cost of the research. Include in your letter the full name, address, and telephone number of the individual making the request. Please note: When making a request, do not send payment until you receive a price estimate/order form.

National Archives ask that you limit your requests to 5 items per letter. Upon receipt of your request, they will survey the records and send you a price estimate/invoice for obtaining copies. Once you return the invoice with your payment, they will then send you the reproductions. You should allow at least 10-12 weeks for this process - from the date you send your initial request to the final receipt of reproductions.


Information about convoys: Search for a Ship in WW2 Convoy

Ship Log Books

Ship Log Books for ship voyages are kept at a National Archives Regional Center closest to the port at which the ship ended its voyage. National Archives Regional Centers

Initial Inquiry: Reference Services Branch, National Archives, Washington, DC 20408


Crew list information

Commanding Officer
USCG-National Maritime Center (NMC-421)
ATTN: Correspondence Section
100 Forbes Drive
Martinsburg, WV 25404


Where can I buy a photo of a ship?


Mariners listed in Immigration Records

Both pasengers and crew were listed in Immigration Records now in the National Archives. You can search for a mariner at (paid subscription, but 14 day free trial available).The following lists (which are not complete) are available:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Baltimore Passenger Lists, 1820-1948
Boston Passenger Lists, 1820-1943
California Passenger and Crew Lists, 1893-1957
New Orleans Passenger Lists, 1820-1945
Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945


I'm working on my family tree and am not sure if the person is living...

To search for names of people who might have died in between the 1930's and early 1990's visit Rootsweb. You can search by first and last name; the database lists Social Security number, date of birth, date and state of death, last zip code.

To look for a living person, especially with an uncommon name, check a "White Pages" search engine such as or or or

U.S. Government publication on how to obtain birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates Where to Write for Vital Records

Commercial enterprise to request birth, death, marriage certificates or 800-255-2414


Frequently Asked Questions


Merchant Marine Jobs


If your question is not answered above, please write to: @ Please be certain that we can reply to you by adding us to any address book. We will not fill out forms nor copy letters from a box! Please put something descriptive as the subject, so it doesn't look like spam!


Revised 08/26/18